Anyone can get a speeding ticket on the road, but what you do in response determines its effects on you. If you do anything to imply an admission of guilt, you could lose your driving job if your license is suspended and stay with the record for several years.

Taking other steps to get the ticket off your record ensures that you retain your driving privileges, keep your record clean, and avoid sanctions from car insurance companies. A reputable attorney for Tampa traffic ticket cases that is conversant with the traffic laws in Florida can ensure that your next steps don’t jeopardize your driving privileges.

Can a Defensive Driving Class Help with my Speeding Ticket?

Luckily, Florida is among the selected states that allow drivers to take defensive driving classes. You can have the ticket dismissed if you attend and pass the course in a DMV-approved Traffic Safety School. However, you can use the course as a remedy for a limited number of times; you cannot do it more than five times.

Notably, this does not apply to criminal moving traffic violations like reckless driving or drunk driving. Traffic safety courses only remove points for minor traffic offenses, such as speeding in Florida. Drivers that opt for this option ought to notify the court within 30 days of receiving the ticket. Remember, you cannot take up the course if you had undertaken it less than 12 months ago.

Are there Programs to Get My Out-of-State Ticket Off My Record?

If you possess Florida’s driving license and you are found speeding in another state, the traffic citation will be sent to the law enforcement in Florida. However, the citation has to be a point-accessible violation in Florida Statute 322.27(3) for the points to be added to your driver’s license. Unfortunately, there are no programs that allow you to get the points off your record. Even a defensive driving class cannot save you in these circumstances.

Is Deferral a Good Option for Me?

In deferral, the ticket will not be added to your record, but you will have to meet certain conditions. During the deferral period, the driver will be required to avoid committing any other traffic offenses. If you manage to stay away from speeding, reckless driving, and stop sign violations, the particular case might be dismissed and will not appear anywhere in your driving record.

But if you receive another ticket during the deferral period, you lose the opportunity to get the ticket off your record. Both the deferred and the subsequent offense will be added to your record, and you will have to deal with the consequences that come with it. For instance, insurance premiums for drivers convicted of traffic violations increase dramatically.

If you believe that you can adhere to the requirements, a Tampa traffic ticket defense attorney can walk you through. They can help you get approval from a judge or the District Attorney and advise you on the fees to pay.

Can I Delay My Way to a Dismissal?

If you refuse to admit guilt and pay the fines for the speeding ticket, you will get an opportunity to fight the charges. The court date is usually a few months away, but you can kick the date down the road if you ask for a continuance.

The delay can last up to a year, and if you are lucky, the officer in charge of the case might be fired, could quit, retire, or get a transfer during this period. If this happens, a Tampa traffic ticket defense attorney can ask the court to dismiss the speeding ticket altogether.

Are There Passive Ways to Get the Speeding Ticket Out of My Record?

Waiting for the usual time limit to lapse is a passive way to get points off your record. It takes 36 months for it to be effective, and the “clock” begins ticking on the day the traffic was issued. You will have to pay high insurance premiums, and if you already have other points in your records, the rates will be even higher.

The 36-months period can be extended if you violate another traffic rule and receive a ticket. If you need information on exactly when your speeding ticket automatically leaves your record, a traffic ticket defense attorney in Tampa, FL, can help you work it out. They will also explain to you the other alternatives that are worth exploring.

How Can I Get a Ticket off My Record in Court?

Contesting means that you plead not guilty, and fight for dismissal in court. Technicalities like errors in your citation can help you win the case. If you carefully read the citation, you are likely to find inaccurate information regarding personal information, location, or time. And this is enough to warrant a dismissal.

If every detail is accurate, a proper argument can save you and your driving record. A Tampa traffic ticket defense attorney can guide you on the best possible defense for your situation. For instance, you can appeal to the judge’s sympathetic nature if you tell him/her that you were about to miss an international flight or you were trying to get to the hospital.

Can I Seal or Expunge a Speeding Ticket in Florida?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to seal or expunge a traffic violation in Florida. Serious CDL violations remain on your record for 55 years, alcohol-related violations for 75 years, suspensions for 7 to 11 years, and citations for ten years.

You probably don’t want these records to remain with you for such a long time. The fact is, the speeding ticket will not get to your record if you contact a Tampa traffic ticket defense attorney as soon as you receive it. An experienced lawyer will ensure that you avoid grievous mistakes like paying for the ticket, which is an admission of guilt.

A Skilled Legal Aid Fighting Your Traffic Ticket

No one likes getting traffic tickets. But when you get one, you need an attorney that can listen to you and offer sound legal advice. You need a Tampa traffic ticket defense attorney who understands the law and how it applies to your case, what can happen to you, and how to fight it.

If you need to maintain a clean driving record, help is available in Hillsborough, Pasco, Polk, Pinellas, Manatee, and Sarasota counties. Book a FREE case evaluation by calling us today at (813) 967-2000.